NICE has published a draft clinical guideline for public consultation on the investigation and management of heart valve disease in adults.
The guideline will update and replace the recommendations on valve surgery and percutaneous intervention in the NICE guideline on acute heart failure (published October 2014).
It makes recommendations in a number of areas including:
- Referral for echocardiography and specialist assessment.
- When to consider an intervention (e.g. surgery) and what types of intervention are appropriate.
- Indications for interventions
- Pharmacological management.
- Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy.
The draft guideline is open for consultation until 29 April 2021 and the final guideline is expected to be published September 2021.
OnMedica related content
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement is probably one of the biggest therapeutic development in cardiology in the last 10 years. As access increases, so do patient enquiries.
In this short video, aimed at primary care, consultant cardiologist Stephen Dorman outlines the key aspects of TAVI and its role in the treatment of aortic stenosis.