Case-based quiz: impaired glucose regulation (IGR)
A 52-year-old man comes to see you one morning for a “health check”. He has read in the paper about the increased prevalence of diabetes and he is worried that he may have it. Is he right?
Mr FY is a 52-year-old man comes to see you one morning for a “health check”. He has read in the paper about the increased prevalence of diabetes and he is worried that he may have it. Although he does not have any symptoms to suggest diabetes, he is obese and has a history of hypertension. His mother and father developed type 2 diabetes in their 50’s. You notice that he had some blood tests undertaken six months ago and one of the results was a raised HbA1c 45 mmol/mol (6.3%).
Take the quiz:
- Ryden L, Grant PJ, Anker SD, et al. ESC Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD: the Task Force on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and developed in collaboration with the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Eur Heart J. 2013 Oct34(39):3035-87. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/eht108. Epub 2013 Aug 30.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Lancet. 2009;374(9702):1677-86. PMID: 19878986
- Shin JA, Lee JH, Kim HS, et al. Prevention of diabetes: a strategic approach for individual patients. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012 Dec;28 Suppl 2:79-84. PMID: 23280871
- Anselmino M, Sillano D. Impact of pre-diabetes and diabetes on cardiovascular outcomes. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2012 Nov;10(6):680-3. PMID: 23259552
- Type 2 diabetes: prevention in people at high risk. NICE PH38, 2012, updated 2017.
- Eades CE, France EF, Evans JMM. Prevalence of impaired glucose regulation in Europe: a meta-analysis. European Journal of Public Health, Volume 26, Issue 4, August 2016, Pages 699–706
- Prediabetes. Diabetes UK, 2020
- Tabák AG, Herder C, Rathmann W, et al. Pre-diabetes: a high risk state for developing diabetes. Lancet. 2012 Jun 16; 379(9833): 2279–2290.
- Putting prevention first, NHS Health Check: Vascular Risk Assessment and Management, Best Practice Guidance. April 2009, Department of Health.