A 34-year-old lady who comes to you complaining of spots. She has suffered from acne since she was a teenager and has used topical antibiotics intermittently. She stopped the combined oral contraceptive pill after her second child was born and she had a Mirena coil fitted. Her skin seems to be much worse since this.
On examination, she has some open and closed comedones as well as a number of inflamed papules on her face.
OnMedica related content
Join OnMedica to access more bitesize CPD resources
Acne management quiz – references
- Acne vulgaris management. NICE NG198, 2021
- Acne vulgaris management. Clinical Knowledge Summaries, 2020
- Acne vulgaris. DermNet NZ
- Knott L. Acne vulgaris. Patient.info, 2015
- Strengthening of warnings about use of Dianette® and other brands of co-cyprindiol. Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare – CEU Statement, 2013
- Isotretinoin for severe acne: uses and effects. MHRA guidance, 2014.