Suspicious mole: is it malignant melanoma and how to treat it?
This course, worth 2 CME credits, covers the recognition of typical and atypical presentations of melanoma, illustrated by clinical images. It also outlines the management options through a useful visual summary of NICE guidance.
Melanoma: the basics
This module describes the normal maturation of melanocytic naevi and the processes involved in skin pigmentation changes. It also outlines the characteristics of the different skin cancer types, with clinical images.
Melanoma: incidence and at-risk groups
This module outlines the incidence and aetiology of melanoma. It identifies the groups most at risk and summarises the recommendations for screening and surveillance for these groups.
This module describes the key features of common differential diagnoses and the methods to pick up melanoma early. It includes a visual summary of factors to be alert to in atypical presentations and reviews techniques that can aid diagnostic accuracy.
Biopsy, excision and histology
This module indicates when to consider mole watching versus excision and describes the main clinical features included in a histology report. It also highlights the differences between the TNM staging system and AJCC classification.
Management and follow up
This module includes a downloadable 1-page visual summary of NICE guidance on the different management options and summarises NICE recommendations on follow-up after treatment.
Prognosis, counselling and prevention
This modules reviews how to counsel patients about a melanoma diagnosis and what prevention advice to give.
What you'll learn
- The normal development and maturation of melanocytic naevi to aid clinical recognition of different types of moles.
- Who is most at risk and the screening and surveillance recommendations for these groups.
- Which differential diagnoses to consider and how to recognise their key features.
- How to recognise typical and atypical melanoma.
- The meaning and relevance of the information in the histology report, including staging systems.
- The management options for melanoma and follow up recommendations after treatment as per NICE guidance.
- How to counsel patients about a melanoma diagnosis and what prevention advice to give.